Would you like to study further, but need financial aid to do so?
What does the NSFAS bursary involve?
The NSFAS bursary fund is designed to aid students in reaching their goals. They do not require students to pay back bursary funding, however depending on the program you take, there may be an obligatory contract. These will, however, be set out by the various bursaries. Bursaries are made available for certain study fields at any of the Public Universities or even Colleges within South Africa.
NSFAS basically administer the funding of each bursary.
These include the following bursary programs:
For students with a disability, the Department of Higher Education has an ideal bursary program, managed by NSFAS.
The National Skills Fund for Scarce Skills is also one of their bursary programs.
The Department of Social Development is furthermore, one of their options, for students interested in Social Work.
For teachers, the Funza Lushaka Bursary is another program, administered by NSFAS.
Most of these bursary programs administered by NSFAS cover the following for successful candidates:
- Prescribed Books or Learning Material
- Accommodation provided by the University
NSFAS Bursaries Available
If you are planning to study into one of the following directions, these bursaries is just what you need. There is, however, many other fields also available.
Department of Education – Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Foundation Phases of Education – Grade R to Grade 3
- Intermediate Phases of Education – Grade 4 to Grade 6
- Senior Phases of Education – Grade 7 to Grade 9
- Further Education and/or Training Phases – Grade 10 to Grade 12
Department of Social Development
- Events Management
- Social Worker
- Communication Studies
If you are currently still in grade 12 or studying towards one of the fields they have available, you may submit your application.
To study for a degree you will need to have the following:
- Grade 12 level of education
- Be a South African Citizen
- Possess a valid South African ID
- Comply with all requirements of the Institute of Higher Learning you wish to attend
- Supply proof of acceptance
- Provide proof of income from parents or guardian
- Provide copy of valid ID document of parents or guardian
- Must be proficient in English
- Must adhere to any other educational requirements of the bursary program
Candidates wanting to apply must please ensure ALL fields are completed fully on the application form. Any uncompleted applications or applications without required documentation will be dismissed.
Documentation that needs to be attached to your application is as follow:
- Grade 12 results
- All Academic records
- Copy of your ID document
- Copy of parents or guardians ID documents
- Proof of income of parents or guardian
- Certified copy of acceptance letter from University
Please ensure you keep the original documents but certify all copies.
Please include your latest school results and certified copy of all documents.
Candidates from all races, including those with disabilities are urged to apply.
You can apply for your bursary online via the NSFAS Website.
PLEASE NOTE: Once a bursary has been awarded, candidates cannot change their field of study. It is also highly recommended to provide an exposition with the start of each year, detailing the intended curriculum that will be followed. It ought to clearly show all major and secondary subjects for the field of study concerned. This aids in keeping the involved parties abreast of your academic progress, but moreover helps to ensure payments for future years of study.
With each year’s new enrollments at the University, please state the name, as well as the address of the bursary program through NSFAS. This action will ensure progress reports, and results are forwarded to the correct departments, furthermore ensuring your bursary payments.
There are currently no deadlines for applications. Each administered program has different closing dates.
Due to large amounts of applications each year, candidates are also urged to pursue alternative funding options. Only shortlisted candidates will be contacted. Candidates who have not heard from the company within two to three months after closing date can assume their application was unsuccessful.