The Buffalo City Municipality is located in the Province of the Eastern Cape, South Africa. The Municipality was formed in 2000 and is an amalgamation of the towns/areas of East London, King William’s Town, Bhisho, Zwelitsha, and Mdantsane.
The Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary Programme is primarily aimed at employment equity candidates / disabled candidates / TVET students. The Bursary was created to provide higher-education opportunities to promising young residents between the ages of 14-35, based in the Buffalo City Municipality.
Upon successful completion of the relevant Degree, successful applicants may expect opportunities of employment from the Buffalo City Municipality.
Closing Date of the Bursary
Please note that Bursary applications for the Buffalo City mayoral Programme will close on the 29 of October 2021.
Applications received after the closing date will not be considered for the Bursary Programme.
Applicants who have not received feedback from the Municipality by the 28 of January 2022 should consider their application unsuccessful.
About the Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary
The Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary will help pay for the costs of the relevant Degree of the successful applicant(s) for the academic year, subject to renewal.
Applications are open to those planning to study / studying the following Degrees:
- Analytical Chemistry
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Facilities Management
- Land Surveying
- Mechanical Engineering
- Quantity Surveying
- Town and Regional Planning
Requirements and Eligibility
Prospective applicants need to satisfy all of the requirements of the Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary in order to be considered for the Programme:
- Applications are open to South African citizens ONLY.
- Applications are open to those between the ages of 14-35.
- Applications are open to Buffalo City Municipality residents ONLY.
- Applications are open to those who plan on working for the Buffalo City Municipality post-graduation.
- Applications are open to those studying/intending to study at a tertiary institution that has been recognised by the Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET).
Applications are open to those who achieved the following National Senior Certificate results (NSC) for these listed subjects:
- 50%-59%for English Home Language
- 60-69% for Pure Mathematics
- 60-69% for Accounting
- 60%-69% for Physical Science
Prospective applicants should be studying/intending to study one of the above-mentioned degrees.
Please note that Bursary Programme preference will be given to employment equity and/or disabled candidates and/or students accepted at a TVET campus.
The Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary Programme will provide successful applicants with financial assistance which will pay for the costs of the applicable degree.
The Bursary will cover the costs of the:
- Full tuition fees of the successful applicant.
- Full registration fees of the successful applicant.
- Study material of the successful applicant.
- Accommodation fees of the successful applicant.
Successful applicants will be provided with the opportunity to reapply for the bursary at the end of the academic year. The success of the reapplication process will be entirely determined by the academic performance of the beneficiary.
How to Apply for the Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary?
Kindly note that students applying for the Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary Programme can collect their application forms from the following community support centres:
- Mdantsane Library, Dunga Street, East London
- Duncan Village Art Centre, East London
- East London Trust Centre, 117 Oxford Street, East London
- King William’s Town Civic Centre, 25 Taylor Street, Qonce
The following supporting information must be attached to the applicant’s application form:
- A certified copy of the applicant’s ID card/Book
- A certified copy of the applicant’s complete academic history
- A certified copy of the applicant’s National Senior Certificate (NSC)
- A certified copy of the applicant’s household income
- Proof of residence
Prospective applicants may submit their application form via:
Buffalo City Metropolitan Municipality
Department of Human Resources
Department of Human Resources
P.O. Box 134
Failure to adhere to the above-mentioned requirements will result in a rejected application.
Please note that the Buffalo City Municipality should be directly contacted for all Bursary related queries.
Contact Number: 043 705 1013
Contact Person: Nandi Jaji
Please note that the granting of the Buffalo City Mayoral Bursary Programme is at the sole discretion of the Buffalo City Municipality..