Netflix has created the Netflix Scholarship Programme in South Africa. Netflix is the world’s leading streaming entertainment service which has a vast array of documentaries, movies, television series, and feature films which can be accessed anywhere in the world.
There are over 209 million paid memberships in over 190 countries. The Netflix Scholarship Programme is offered to postgraduate students in South Africa with its aim being to promote and support the development of Black representation in the TV and Film industry in South Africa.
The application deadline is the 31 October 2021.
Incomplete applications and applications submitted after this date will not be successful.
About The Netflix Scholarship Programme
Netflix has partnered with Tshikululu Social Investments which is a South African social investment fund management and advisory firm. Tshikululu Social Investments is responsible for executing the Netflix Scholarship Programme in South Africa.
The scholarship is designed to provide financial assistance to postgraduate students through full scholarships to support the formal qualification and training of aspiring Black creatives in the film and TV disciplines.
Who Can Apply?
The Netflix Scholarship Programme has quite a stringent policy for who can apply. The main criteria being that it is for students of colour in South Africa as it is an area that they are wanting to develop.
- Black students, as defined by the B-BBEE Code of Conduct (Black, Coloured or Indian).
- Postgraduate students pursuing one-year postgraduate studies in Film, Television and/or audio-visual related qualification at one of the below mentioned institutions:
- University of Cape Town (UCT)
- University of the Witwatersrand (Wits)
- University of Johannesburg (UJ)
- University of Pretoria (UP)
- Durban University of Technology
- Tshwane University of Technology
- Boston Media House
- AACA Film and Acting School
- South African citizen.
- Undergraduate academic average of 60% minimum, completed between 2019 and 2021.
- Self-funded students (students who have another bursary or NSFAS funding will not qualify).
*Note: ALL documents will go through a vetting and screening process, please ensure that everything is correct.
What Does The Netflix Scholarship Programme Cover?
The Netflix Scholarship Programme is a one-year scholarship and covers the following:
- Study material
- Living allowance for the 2022 academic year.
How to Apply?
As outlined above, the Netflix Scholarship Programme is granted through Tshikululu Social Investments, and, as a result, the application for the Netflix Scholarship is to be done online through the Tshikululu Social Investments website: Netflix Application Scholarship.
The link to the actual 2022 Netflix Postgraduate Scholarship Programme Application form is found at the bottom of the application page once you have read through all the information about the scholarship.
There are four pages in the Netflix Scholarship Programme Application form:
1. Background and Introduction
2. Eligibility Checklist
3. Applicants Details
4. Upload of documents and declaration
The following supporting documents need to be attached:
- Certified copy of your ID document
- Copy of your National Senior Certificate (Matric) results
- If you are a current undergraduate student, copy of your up-to-date academic record on your university letterhead/logo
- If you have already completed your undergraduate degree, an official transcript copy of your results
- Proof that you have applied to one/more of the eligible tertiary institutions outlined above.
The application process will take time, so please ensure that you do not rush through it. On page 3 there are 3 essay questions:
- Tell us about yourself, family, and your background.
- Why do you want to study your chosen programme, and how do you see this furthering your career?
- Why are you the best candidate to be awarded a Netflix scholarship through this programme?
Applying for the scholarship does not mean that you are successful. Your application will be screened and vetted. If you are successful, your details will be sent to the Selection Committee who will make the final decision on awarding the scholarship.
Tshikululu Social Investments
Phone: +27 (0)11 544 0300
Address: 8 Hillside Road, Block B Ground Floor, Metropolitan Building, Parktown, 2193