Anyone looking to take their qualifications further in Visual arts may have just found the opportunity they are looking for.
The National Research Foundation (NRF) is now accepting applications for its scholarship program.
This scholarship will provide funding for the 2023 academic year and assist successful candidates on their journey to their postgraduate goals.
If this is something that you can see yourself benefitting from, then we highly recommend that you apply.
Below is a guide on exactly how this scholarship works and what it will need from applicants.
Please make sure that your application for this scholarship is submitted by 27 May 2022.
If you don’t, your application will not be accepted by the scholarship provider.
Also, don’t forget to include any sort of support documents that may be required for applications.
These documents may be crucial and can contribute to your application being considered or not.
What is The NRF Scholarship?
This scholarship will provide funding to successful applicants who want to earn their Ph.D. or MA in Visual arts.
Successful candidates will work at the University of Johannesburg under the moderation of Professor Brenda Schmahmann, the SARChl in the South African Art and Visual Culture department. Candidates will be a part of various research products such as:
- Art and Design in the Context of Community Projects
- Gender and Visual Culture
- Public Art, Curation, and the Politics of Representation in the Public Domain
Who Can Apply
The NRF Scholarship has set the following requirements for applicants to be considered for selection:
- Applicants must be South African citizens.
- Applicants must be from a designated group (African, Coloured, or Indian).
- Applicants must have achieved a minimum result of 65% for their previous degree.
- Applicants must intend on studying towards a Ph.D. or MA degree in Visual Arts, within one of the research topics listed above.
- Applicants must intend on studying at the University of Johannesburg, in 2023.
- Ph.D. applicants: must NOT be older than 32 years of age at the time of applying.
- Ph.D. applicants: must complete their studies in a maximum period of 3 years.
- MA degree applicants: must NOT be older than 30 years at the time of applying.
- MA degree applicants: must complete their studies in a maximum period of 2 years.
- Full funding will be awarded if:
- you have a total family income of less than R350 000 per annum OR
- you have achieved a minimum result of 75% for your previous degree or you will receive a minimum result of 75% for the degree you are completing in 2022 OR
- you are living with a disability.
What Does This Scholarship Cover?
The NRF Scholarship will provide funding for the following:
- Master of Arts students: funding to the value of R162 900 per annum for 2 years (and R10 000 toward a study device) or partial funding to the value of R105 900 per annum for 2 years.
- Ph.D. students: funding to the value of R170 430 per annum for 3 years (and R10 000 toward a study device) or partial funding to the value of R94 430 per annum for 3 years.
How To Apply
Applications are quite easy to complete.
All you need to do is download and fill in the following forms depending on the qualification you are pursuing:
Ph.D. applicants: NRF Scholarship Application Form 2023 (for Ph.D. studies)
MA applicants: NRF Scholarship Application Form 2023 (for Masters studies)
From here, successful applicants will be invited to fill in an online application on the NRF site.
When applying for these scholarships, please ensure that you attach a clear certified copy of your official academic record.
Once you have everything complete and in order, you can submit your application via email to Professor Schmahmann: email@example.com
Make sure to throw in, “NRF Scholarship application 2023” in the subject line.
If you have any questions or concerns related to the NRF Scholarship, then you can contact the organization directly through the following means:
Contact person: Prof Brenda Schmahmann (the SARChI Chair in South African Art and Visual Culture)
Good luck with your application!