A great opportunity is here for students looking to further their postgraduate studies with the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
The UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship program is accepting applications and encouraging students to throw their hats in the ring.
The best part about this scholarship is that it’s not specific to a certain field. Students from any field are welcome to apply for this scholarship.
If you are looking to take your qualification further, then this may be the funding program you’re looking for.
Below is a guide on exactly how this scholarship works and what it will need from its applicants.
The UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship will be closing on 31 March 2021.
Please ensure that your application is complete and submitted by this date along with any requested support documentation.
Please note that if you fail to follow these instructions, your application will not be accepted by the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
What is This Scholarship About?
The UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship was established in honor of its namesake.
The Archbishop was committed to the growth of leadership and community development.
The scholarship will be provided by the University of KwaZulu-Natal which hosts a number of campuses that specialize in various fields of study.
Who Can Apply?
This scholarship will cater to Honours Degree students that wish to take their qualification further in any field. However, applicants will also need to meet the following requirements set by the scholarship program:
- Applicants must be involved in community service.
- Applicants must be willing to pursue a career in community service or academic contributions to the university.
- Applicants need to have an ethical vision for modern society.
- Applicants need strong leadership skills.
- Applicants must have a good academic performance.
- Applicants must come from a previously disadvantaged background.
- Applicants must be pursuing a Mater’s Degree or Ph.D. with their studies.
- Applicants must be enrolling with the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
What Does The Scholarship Cover
The scholarship will provide financial cover for a student’s study-related fees.
The extent of this is undisclosed and is at the discretion of the University of KwaZulu-Natal and is dependent on the applicant’s circumstances.
How To Apply
Applications for this scholarship are simple. All you need to do is download and complete the application form here.
Please make sure that you include the following documents when submitting your application:
- An updated CV
- Your most recent certificate
- A full academic transcript
- One or more referee reports that highlight your leadership and community contributions
- An abstract of your research dissertation proposal or a motivation for your chosen field of study
- A motivational letter that supports why you would be an ideal candidate for this scholarship.
Once you have these in order, you can go ahead and submit them to the Financial Aid Advisor of your relevant college.
College of Agriculture, Engineering Sciences:
- Howard campus: (Contact person: Linda Mdunge, email: Mdungel@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Gerald Naicker, email: Naickerge@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact person: Marcia Ntamote, email: NtamoteM@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Heather Singh, email: Singhh@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Mbongiseni Mkhize, email: Mkhizemb@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Lindiwe Kumalo, email: Kumalo@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Health Science:
- Howard and Medical School campus: (Contact person: Bongumusa Gumbi, email: Gumbib5@ukzn.ac.za)
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Jainendra Maharajh, email: Maharajhj1@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Humanities:
- (All campuses, email: CHUMBursaryApp@ukzn.ac.za)
College of Law & Management Studies:
- Westville campus: (Contact person: Merci Rajkumar, email: Rajkumarma@ukzn.ac.za / Contact person: Bongamusa Gasa, email: Gasa@ukzn.ac.za)
- Pietermaritzburg campus (Contact person: Sandile Mngadi, email: Ndimandes1@ukzn.ac.za)
- Howard College (Contact person: Nosipho Mkhize, email: MkhizeN5@ukzn.ac.za)
Make sure to include, “UKZN Archbishop Denis E. Hurley Scholarship Application” as the email’s subject.
If you have any questions or concerns related to this scholarship, then you can contact the Financial Aid Advisor of the relevant college listed above.
Good luck with your application!