The City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme was established to help create a meaningful impact in local Johannesburg communities, via the provision of the City of Johannesburg (COJ) Bursary as a financial aid scheme.
The Bursary is available to South African citizens and attempts to reduce illiteracy rates and joblessness among the city’s young population. The bursary is one of the tools used by the municipality to address socio-economic problems, and Apartheid legacy racial inequalities.
The City of Johannesburg Municipality governs the city of Johannesburg and various other outlying areas such as Sandton, Soweto, Melrose Arch Roodepoort, Killarney, Diepsloot and Randburg. The Municipality is in charge of the provision of electricity and water, as well as sanitation and sectoral dependent law enforcement.
Closing Date of the Bursary
Please note that Bursary applications for the City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme will close on the 5th of November 2021. Applications received after the closing date will not be considered for the Bursary Programme.
Applicants who have not received a response a month after submitting their application should consider their application as unsuccessful.
About this Bursary
The City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme will help pay for the costs of the relevant Degree of the successful applicant(s) for the academic year, subject to renewal. The bursary was established by the City of Johannesburg as an attempt to alleviate instances of poverty in the city.
Applications are open to those planning to study/studying a qualification in the following fields:
- Actuarial Science
- Commerce (Bcom)
- Communication and Social Media
- Geographical information Services (GIS)
- Emergency Management Services (EMS)
- Law (LLB)
- Local Government Science
- Municipal Governance
- Local Government Science
- Political Science
- Production and Operations Management
- Quantity Surveying
- Real Estate
- Sports Science
Bursary Requirements and Eligibility
Prospective applicants need to satisfy all of the requirements of the City of Johannesburg Bursary in order to be considered for the Programme:
- Applications are open to those studying a Degree in one of the above-mentioned fields.
- Applications are open to South African citizens ONLY.
- Applications are open to those who are in / have completed their Matric.
- Applications are open to those boasting a strong academic record.
- Applications are open to those wishing to study at a recognised Department of Higher Education and Training (DHET) institution.
Please note that failure to comply with the above-mentioned requirements will result in a rejected application.
The City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme will provide successful applicants with financial assistance to the value of R35 000. The bursary will help pay for study-related costs such as:
- The registration fees of the successful recipient.
- The tuition fees of the successful recipient.
- The study materials of the successful applicant.
Please note that successful applicants are expected to pay for other study related costs such as accommodation and travel out of their own pocket.
Successful applicants are entitled to renew their bursary subject to the achievement of specified academic objectives at the end of the academic year.
How to Apply?
Kindly note that students applying for the City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme are required to apply online via the following link.
The following supporting information must be attached to the applicant’s application form:
- A certified copy of the applicant’s ID card / Book
- A certified copy of the applicant’s matric results.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s complete academic history.
- A copy of the applicant’s proof of residence.
- A certified copy of the applicant’s household income.
Prospective applicants are also expected to write a motivational letter, explaining why they believe they should be awarded the bursary.
Failure to adhere to the above-mentioned requirements will result in a rejected application.
Please note that the online application process for the bursary should not take more than 1 hour.
Please note that the City of Johannesburg should be directly contacted for all Bursary related queries.
- Contact Name: Billy Baloyi
- Contact Email: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Contact Number: 011 407 6979
Please note that the granting of the City of Johannesburg Bursary Programme is at the sole discretion of the City of Johannesburg.