The Funza Lushaka Bursary is a very popular bursary in South Africa. If you want to make a difference and become a teacher, the Funza bursary could be an option to fund your study. They offer support to undergraduate students who want to become a teacher, and they also offer a 1-year post-graduate bursary (PGCE)
What Is the Funza Lushaka Bursary?
It is a teaching bursary and offers support to students who want to become a teacher. The provider of the bursary is the Department of Basic Education in South Africa. It is a multi-year bursary and its goal is to support teaching in public schools. Funza Lushaka offers 2 different bursaries
- Bursary for Undergraduate Studies: this is a bachelor of education specialising in the different phases of education (Foundation phase, Intermediate phase, Senior phase and FET phase)
- Post Graduate Bursary : a 1 Year bursary for a PGCE certificate (Postgraduate Certificate in Education)
You will be required to teach at a public school. You will be assigned to a public school by the Department of Basic Education (you can not choose the school yourself)
What does the Funza Lushaka Bursary Cover?
Successful applicants will have the following covered through the Funza Lushaka bursary:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation costs (for either residence or approved accommodation)
- Small monthly allowance for living expenses
- In exceptional circumstances, traveling costs may be included in the cost of traveling hiders the student from accepting the bursary
Who Can Apply For the Funza Lushaka Bursary?
First lets start by who can NOT apply for Funza Lushaka bursaries.
- If you have a criminal record, if you are charged of misconduct, or if you are dismissed from work, applying for this bursary will be a waste of time.
- Employees from Higher Education Institutions are not allowed to apply for this bursary and neither is their family.
- if you already have some teaching qualifications, you are not allowed to receive this bursary
Besides stating who can not apply, they are also very clear about these guidelines:
- The only to apply is by online application. They will not accept hard copies of printed forms
- If you completed the Funza Lushaka online application, they require you to print it and keep it with you.
If you are still in the green after reading this, these are the mayors they will prefer you to study
Priority Area Subjects
Foundation Phase (Gr R-3, ages 5-9):
- Foundation phase specialization
Intermediate Phase (Gr 4-6; ages 10-12): (2 of the following)
- African Language
- English Language
- Natural Sciences
Senior Phase (Gr 7-9; ages 13-15): (2 of the following)
- African Languages
- English Language
- Natural Sciences
FET Phase (Gr 10-12; ages 16-18): (2 of the following)
- Accounting (our other accounting bursaries)
- African Languages
- Agricultural Sciences (our other Agriculture bursaries)
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Technology
- Computer Applications Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Engineering Graphics and Design
- English Language
- Information Technology
- Life Sciences
- Mathematical Literacy
- Mechanical Technology
- Physical Sciences (Our other Physical science bursaries)
What Are the Requirements for the Funza Lushaka Application 2021?
Applicants for the Funza Lushaka Bursary must meet the following basic requirements in order to be considered:
- Must be a South African citizen with a valid ID
- Must have already been accepted to an appropriate field of study at a recognized higher education institution
- Must be committed to and enthusiastic about a professional teaching career with interests that include working with young people, readiness to face and overcome challenges
- Must have personal integrity
- All first-time applicants have to be younger than 30 years old
First Time Entrants To University
- You need proof you can start with your bachelor degree at Matric Grade 12
- At least a 4 rating for the subjects you want to specialize in to become a teacher
- You need to have passed Mathematics or mathematics literacy at Grade 12 level and a minimum level of 4 for home language if your intention is to specialize for foundation phase
- If you have completed your Matric before 2008, you will need an average of 50% (before mathematics was compulsory)
- If you want to specialize in the teaching of Technology subjects, you will need a level 4 pass for Mathematics. This also counts for CAT and for those students without these levels for matric
If you are a new applicant but already studying at University
- You must have passed all your subjects in your last year of study.
- At least an average score of 55% for your last year of study.
- At least an average score of 55% for the subjects you intend to become a teacher in.
- Take into account that the above requirements are the bare minimum. The Funza Lushaka bursary is for ambitious students. High Academic results will be awarded firstly.
Requirements for the PGCE Post Graduate Bursary
If you want to apply for the Funza postgraduate bursary there are some different requirements namely the following:
- You need to be Academically qualified to do the Post Graduate degree
- Foundation Phase: You need to have a Major in Psychology and African Language
- Intermediate, senior and further phase: You will need to have majored for the subjects you want to specialize in
- You will need TWO identified priority subjects at a second-year level (they really emphasize this)
- You need adequate modules for the topics you decided to specialize in
Requirements for students who already have the Funza Lushaka Bursary
- From your last year of study, you will need to have passed at least 66.6% of all your modules
- The same counts for the priority subject areas
- If you are only doing 1 major, you need to pass this major.
- You need to be progressing to your next year of study
- You need to have passed at least 50% of all the modules in your study
What Happens When You Completed Your Study With Funza Bursaries?
Before we go to explain how to apply for Funza, we want to emphasize what Funza expects from you when you completed your study.
- You will be required to work as a teacher on a public school for the same number of years you received their bursary.
- If you decide you dont want to teach at a public school, you need to repay the bursary (please read the small letters in the bursary contract)
- You need an email address and a phone number so Funza may contact you
How to Apply For the Funza Lushaka Bursary?
Funza Lushaka Online Application
- Go to the Government portal—–>www.eservices.gov.za
- Register an account or make a new one
- Select Funza Lushaka Bursary
- Enter the OTP you will receive with your preferred channel
- Click “Next”
- Read the terms and conditions carefully. If you agree, accept them.
- Now you will see an application button for 2020, click it
- Follow every step and complete all required fields
- Confirm that what you have written is true and don’t forget to hard print your application
Funza Lushaka Closing Date For 2021
None, you can apply for this the whole year.
Funza Lushaka Contact Details for their Bursary
All questions about this bursary should be done with the Administrative co-ordinators at your University. They advise not to seek contact directly with NSFAS or with the Department of Basic Education. Please don’t visit these institutions in person. Inquiries can be made by phone: 012 357 3000
Frequently Asked Questions
Funza will pay for all the necessary costs. However, this will vary as different Universities have different costs. It will cover most costs like meals, accommodation, textbooks and tuition fees. There is also a small stipend to cover some basic living expenses
Yes, as long as you follow the requirements you are allowed to apply for their bursary. If you have doubts if you are eligible, contact your study coordinator at your University who is gladly to help you figure this out.
You are advised not to contact Funza directly. First try it with your administrative coordinator at your University. Otherwise try calling them 012 357 3000
Yes, if you apply for the first time for a Funza Lushaka bursary, you need to be younger than 30 years old.