About Information Technology internships
Are you the person your friends call when they can’t get their computer to work? Do you know about every update to the internet and games? If so, you are an ideal candidate for IT Internships in South Africa. Companies are looking for people with your skills of computer literacy; advanced programming and even game knowledge.
Internships in South Africa may be paid or unpaid, depending on the company you choose. The assignments can last anywhere from 6 months to 3 years. If you are an outstanding intern, it could lead to a permanent job. The benefits of the internship are many you gain hands-on experience in your career field, as well as work in close collaboration with established experts.
Companies offering Information Technology Internships
Here are some of the companies that are seeking interns:
- Sprint This multimedia giant has openings for IT internships which will be serving in administrative, consultant and computer specialist capacities.
- Coronation Interns who become a part of this fund management company will be introduced to the IT demands of a financial system. They will learn regulations and train on some of the latest technology.
- Vodacom is a mobile company that serves South Africa with messaging, text and voice capabilities. Interns can expect to work with communication experts as they learn the processes used for this business.
- Eaton focuses on the electrical power side for South Africa. Candidates who join this team will discover the technology behind hydraulics, filtration, and energy service.
- Mimecast is a mobile cloud provider in South Africa. Interns will train on the mechanics of the Cloud, email security, and storage.
- IBM This business giant has endless opportunities for interns to get in on the base floor of training with years of growth ahead. Look to have access to cutting edge technology.
- CTU is a training facility with the emphasis on computer technology and advances. You can train to be a trainer here as you work along computer experts in the field.
- FETOLA is a consulting firm that provides support to other businesses. Interns will learn the secrets to organizational planning.
- Amazon Another industry leader, Amazon offers unique opportunities for the intern to train in multi-faceted areas.
- Sun International is a luxury hotel chain and retreat in South Africa. Candidates will learn to use their IT skills in the fields of hospitality and customer service, as well as the business end of the company.
- Dolby known for its sound accomplishments there are many other dimensions to this company and interns will benefit from working with these experts.
IT Internships Available Fields
The IT field has many areas to choose from. Some of them include:
- Systems of Information
- Analyst for Business Support
- Technical Support
- Database Administrator
- Data Security Analyst
- Computer Engineer
- Computer Specialist
- Systems Analyst/Administrator/Developer
- Security Specialist
- Security Consultant
- Computer Programmer
- Technical Support Specialist
- Designer for Web and Java
IT Internships Requirements
These are just some of the areas available for IT internships in South Africa. Each organization you research will have certain requirements, but there are some general criteria that all interns must meet:
- Must be between the ages of 18-35
- Current resident of South Africa
- 12th grade/Matric Certificate
- Be willing to relocate if required
- Fluent in written and spoken English
- Proficient in Computer Skills such as MS Office, PHP, Html5, Coding and others.
If you meet these requirements, you have a good chance of getting an internship in South Africa for the IT field. Companies also look for young people who work well under pressure, have strong communication skills and interpersonal strengths. Flexibility is a key factor in having a successful internship.
How to Apply for IT Internships?
If you would like to intern with one of the above companies, you can search their website using the “Career” or Human Resource tabs. Applications should be carefully filled out, making sure you answer each question. The required documents should be attached to ensure eligibility. Closing dates will vary, so check the organization’s website for the most current information. Most companies only contact candidates who make the short list, so if you haven’t heard back from them within three months, you will want to apply other places.