The Polish National Agency for Academy Exchange (NAWA) offers an amazing opportunity for scientists who wish to take part in the Ulam NAWA Programme. The Ulam NAWA Programme allows recognised and promising scientists who hold a doctoral degree to visit Poland for up to 24 months in order to strengthen the scientific potential of Polish entities and take part in their scientific activities; mostly focussing on research, projects, and didactics.
Regardless of age, the Ulam NAWA Programme invites scientists from all over the world to represent fields of science. HEIs, scientific and research institutes have the opportunity to work with specialists in their chosen priority areas in Poland.
It aims to increase the internationalisation of Polish institutions of science and higher education, contributing significantly to research, strengthen didactics, and support institutions to apply for prestigious grants.
Applications for the Ulam NAWA Programme are from 25 March 2021 until 15 June 2021 (3 PM Polish Time).
About This Bursary
Ulam NAWA Programme will be in English, although non-Polish scientists will be given funds for training to learn the Polish language.
The Programme provides financing for a scholarship that implements many activities such as scientific research, completing a first or subsequent post-doctoral fellowship, and get materials for research or a scientific publication.
NAWA recognises the Seal of Certificate (SoE) under the Marie Sklodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowships programme, allowing applicants a chance to apply for the Programme under a different category. Once the agreement is signed the Fellow may have partial employment or be employed in relation to the project implementation at the Host Institution.
What does this Programme cover?
The Ulam NAWA Programme covers:
- Living expenses up to 10,000 PLN (Polish Zloty currency)
- Once-off Mobility allowance of:
- PLN 7,000 visits from European countries, if only the Fellow is taking part in the visit with an additional PLN 2,000 per person, if the spouse or the Fellow’s underage child/ren accompanies the scientist
- PLN 12,000 visits from non-European countries, if only the Fellow is taking part in the visit with an additional PLN 5,000 per person, if the spouse or the Fellow’s underage child/ren accompanies the Fellow
- A once-off Polish language training amount for PLN 5,000 for non-Polish applicants at any accredited NAWA institution. A List of accredited entities and further information on the selection of courses is available
- Financing of family members visitation is possible only if the stay is at least 3 months
- Insurance costs and VISA cost is for the applicant’s account
- The Programme amount may increase only if during the stay or before commencement the scientist has a new child which will take part in the visitation, at the discretion of the Director depending on financial resources available
- The Programme amount may increase if the Fellow has a certificate of severe or moderate disability and requires a Personal Assistant, however, this only applies if the spouse is not taking part in the visitation
- The scholarship and other funds are income tax free
Who Can Apply?
If you are interested in applying for the Ulam NAWA Programme, you will need:
- To hold a doctoral degree
- Visit Poland for 6 – 24 months to strengthen the scientific potential of Polish entities
- Take part in scientific activities, research projects, and didactics.
Applications are subject to formal and merit-based evaluations:
- The Formal evaluation is described in the NAWA regulations
- Merit-based evaluation consist of three stages:
- Preselection: Applicant’s achievements, and course of their scientific or academic activities
- Evaluation: Scientific field relevant to the submitted application, number of points scored in evaluation based on criteria, and strengths and weaknesses in the summary
- Final Evaluation: Scoring of the first two criteria based on the evaluation
- assessed by an allocated team with a ranking list of the applicants who are recommended and those who are not recommended for funds
- A scientist with a doctoral degree
- Employed at a foreign HEI or at a foreign scientific research center or completed a previous employment contract prior to 31 August 2020. Employment is not required for those who received their doctoral degree after 31 August 2020
- Not studied or worked in Poland
- Have a minimum of 3 achievements, not earlier than 2016, in the following:
- Authored a published publication in English, journals included in one of the following international databases: Scopus, Science Citation Index Expanded, Social Sciences Citation Index, Arts & Humanities Citation Index
- A reviewed research monograph published in English, please note an edited chapter does not meet the criteria
- Publication in English with reviewed materials from an international conference listed by the Computing Research and Education Association of Australasia (CORE), and indexed in the international DBLP Computer Science Bibliography database
- Publication in English in reviewed materials from an international conference and indexed in Web of Science Core Collection or Scopus database
- Representation of art studies there must be proof of having made a presentation of a work of art in a foreign institution or academic center or received a distinction in an international competition
Note: Applicants can demonstrate 3 achievements under the same points (a, b, c, d, e) or demonstrate various achievements from any points as indicated (a – e)
- Hold an invitation from the Host institution (a national entity with a scientific category)
- Implemented other NAWA projects where other scholarships have been settled, and agreements completed.
- A doctoral degree or equivalent degree from abroad submitted with the institution of the Polish higher education and science system and the application
- The application should be submitted with the Seal of Excellence certificate (SoE) under the Marie Skłodowska-Curie Actions Individual Fellowships Programme
- Invitation from the Host institution that within a national scientific category
- Scientific resume
- A scan of the doctoral diploma or certificate of a doctoral degree, with a certified official translation into English if the original is issued in a language that is not English.
- Scans of three required achievements in PDF format.
- The full published text should be attached
- The monograph should be attached as a file containing the cover page, a page with the ISBN number, editorial page, table of contents, and a selection of extracts with the author’s most important theses, however, it must not be longer than 20 pages
- Representative of the fine arts field attach a copy of a catalog with the ISBN number, or copy of a distinction received in an international competition or any other formal confirmation of an artistic achievement
- A scanned copy of employment confirmation after 31 August 2020 in English. The document is not required if you received the doctoral degree after 31 August 2020
- A scanned copy of the invitation from the Host institution
How to Apply?
Once an applicant has registered their profile on the NAWA ICT website, they can apply by choosing one of the two options:
- All applicants: submit an application
- Applicants with certificate Seal of Excellence: submit an application
The application and all attachments are in English, however, you may submit copies of the doctoral diploma in Polish or Latin. Only one application for financing is acceptable, which requires a visit to one of the Host institutions.
Please ensure to comply with all requirements to qualify for the Ulam NAWA Programme found on the Call for Proposals website.
Contact The National Agency for Academic Exchange for more information (Mon – Fri, 9:00 am to 4:00 pm, GMT+2)
Phone: +48 (22) 390-3572