Every year the Rhodes Scholarships offers opportunities to high performing students in Southern Africa. The Rhodes Trust foundation offers students a postgraduate position at the University of Oxford in the United Kingdom.
The scholarships are offered to some students at certain Universities in Southern Africa (including South Africa, Botswana, Namibia, Swaziland, Lesotho and Malawi). The Rhodes Trust Scholarship is the oldest international scholarship in the world and certainly one of the most prestigious ones. Oxford University is one of the best Universities in the world and an excellent way to start your academic career.
About the Rhodes Trust Scholarships
Every year a few individuals are selected in Southern Africa for these Scholarships. In order to make a chance on being selected they have 4 broad criteria for their selection:
1. You have shown Academic Excellent in your current study at your university. You should be a top student
2. Besides Academic skills they are also looking for students who use their Energy in other skill sets like: Sports, Dance, Theatre, Music or other artistic pursuits.
3. Character is also important. Can you show true devotion or kindness? Do you care and protect the weaker individuals in our society? Are you selfish or unselfish?
4. Are you able to lead or do show interest in your fellow students or other people in our society?
What Are The requirements?
If you want to take a chance at doing your postgraduate at Oxford University, you will need to satisfy the following requirements.
- You are a legal Citizen of the mentioned countries and in the possession of a valid ID
- From the past 10 years you are living at least 5 years in the country where you are studying.
- Age: You are between 19-25 years old unless you completed your MBBCH/MBCHB degree, 28 years
- You have completed your Undergraduate degree within the last 2 years
- Academic Excellence: You have completed your degree with a high standard and you are a top performing student. This can be different for each course so make sure to check the requirements for your course
- If you have applied before, you can only apply 1 more time.
Who Can Apply?
There are several committees where you can apply for. Make sure to read the information for candidates document to find out for what committee you should apply for.
The South Africa at large Scholarships
The South Africa at Large committee selects the candidates for this Scholarship and will recommend them to the Rhodes Trust foundation. Within the SA at large committee there are four local committees
- Eastern Cape and Free State
- Gauteng, Limpopo, Mpumalanga and North West
- Western Cape and Northern Cape
The Kwazulu Natal Scholarship
Each year the KZN committee may make 1 direct recommendation to Rhodes Trust each year. You can only apply for this Scholarship if you are a permanent resident of KZN or if you followed a large part of your education inside KZN
BLMNS Scholarships Botswana, Lesotho, Malawi, Namibia, Swaziland (eSwatini)
If you are a resident of one of these countries you can apply for the Scholarship. There is 1 spot available and the procedure is the same as for the SA at large Scholarships
Partner Schools Scholarships
There is also 1 spot available for former pupils at certain partner schools. ( 1 for each category)
- Diocesan College, St Cyprians School, St George Grammar School, Herschel Girls School and Leap 1 School
- Paul Roos Gymnasium, Rhenish Girls’ High School and Bloemhof Girls’ High School
- South African College School (SACS), Sans Souci Girls’ High School and Rustenburg High School for Girls
- St Andrew’s College and Diocesan School for Girls (DSG) (both in Grahamstown), may apply for their relevant school Scholarship, or for the South Africa-at-Large (including KZN) or BLMNS Scholarships.
How To Apply for the Rhodes Trust Scholarships?
If you are interested in this postgraduate scholarship, you can do your application online. Make sure to read all the relevant information that is provided at their website.
Include the following Documents
- Birth Certificate
- Valid ID
- Full Academic results
- School Leaving Certificate
- Certified School Leaving Certificate
- Your CV: Your full employment during University including enterprises you undertook.
- A Motivation Letter (no more then 1000 words)
Full requirements and documents are explained in the information for candidates document.
Applications are open 1 June 2020
Applications close 15 August 2020