A Standard Bank bursary allows students to reach their fullest potential without financial stress. Standard Bank partners with business leaders and professionals throughout South Africa to promote the continent’s position in the global economy. Therefore, offering these Standard Bank bursaries is the primary way they invests in future businesses and political & economic leaders of Africa. The bank makes various bursaries available for different education levels and areas of study. The purpose is to meet the financial needs of the continent’s future leaders, investing in the future of Africa through their hard work and discipline.
Standard Bank’s available bursaries
Derek Cooper Scholarship
Standard Bank offers the Derek Cooper Scholarship named after a successful African businessperson who intends to financially empower men and women to follow in his entrepreneurial footsteps for continual innovative and economic growth throughout Africa. Nine students are chosen annually as candidates; each of the nine students is thoroughly assessed in order to make the best decision to award it to student with the most potential towards the enhancement of Africa’s business and economic growth. This bursary is for South African students studying at the post-graduate level in any one of the following UK-based institutions:
- London School of Economics
- or London School of Political Science.
This Standard Bank Group Bursary is for prospective undergraduate students who have an A level average in their previous academic pursuits. People currently working towards degrees in engineering, technology, science and commerce are all encouraged to apply for the Standard Bank Group Bursary.
Similarly, the Standard Bank Postgraduate Bursary is awarded to current undergraduate students who are planning to further their education. Prospective postgraduate students in all applicable degree programs for the undergraduate Standard Bank Group Bursary are encouraged to apply for the Standard Bank Postgraduate Group Bursary as well as those planning to study mathematics.
Multitude of new bursaries and scholarships
In 2012, Standard Bank celebrated its 150th anniversary. In honor of that anniversary it created 150 new undergraduate bursaries and 150 new postgraduate bursaries. Each of these has a nuanced emphasis to target a specific area within any of the broad disciplines already mentioned with regard to any of the above bursaries. The undergraduate assistance is for any high-achieving second-year students as he/she prepares for the third year in an applicable undergraduate degree program. Students eligible to apply for postgraduate assistance are in their final undergraduate year, have performed with academic excellence and plan to begin postgraduate work the following year.
With the exception of the Derek Cooper Scholarship (see above section for its eligibility requirements), each bursary that Standard Bank offers consists of the same eligibility requirements regardless of its aim towards undergraduate students or prospective postgraduate students. These eligibility requirements are outlined in following list.
- Full-time student in one of the eligible areas of studies already addressed
- Minimum average of 65% overall
- Academic record proving high achievement and well-rounded educational experience
- Ability to prove financial need through personal and family financial documents
Although neither a student’s choice of school nor current school is a requirement to receive funding, the following schools are preferred for students who are likely to be chosen as recipients of one of the undergraduate or postgraduate bursaries other than the Derek Cooper Scholarship:
- University of Stellenbosch
- University of Cape Town
- Rhodes University
- University of Johannesburg
- University of KwaZulu-Natal
- University of Witwatersrand
- and University of Pretoria
Applying for a Standard Bank Bursary Programme
All 2018 bursary applications have been closed, however bursaries for 2019 are currently open. They will remain open until Sept. 30, 2018. You can obtain a Standard Bank bursary application form and fill it out online or request a form to fill out by hand via mail, email or text message. The following list outlines the application options available.
- Download an application online at http://www.studietrust.co.za and complete the form entirely online.
- Request a paper application by mail including your full name and postal address: Standard Bank Bursary Programme, Studietrust, Private Bag X16, Braamfontein 2017.
- Request a paper application by email including your full name and postal address: firstname.lastname@example.org
- Request a paper application by SMS text including the word “STANDARD”, your full name and postal address: 31022.
Along with the application and proof of financial need, students are required to submit a CV, biographical essay, two testimonials and certified copies of the following documentation:
- Matric results and certificate
- Tertiary academic record and proof of current enrollment.
- Mr Themba Mdluli (Bursary Applications) & Mr Sibusiso Lukhele (Bursary Administration & Support)
- Tel: 011 403 1632
- Email: email@example.com
Bursary Closing Date
As mentioned previously, bursary applications for 2019 are currently open. They are open from August 1-Sept. 30, 2018. This means that the bursar must receive your application by Sept. 30, 2018.