Students looking to further their education in Spatial Humanities are in luck. The UKZN is now accepting applications to its humanities scholarship program.
The scholarship is open to all humanities students who are pursuing a postgraduate qualification in this field.
This scholarship is a great opportunity for students looking to get the most out of the Spatial Humanities field.
If this is something that seems to be your next academic step, then we highly recommend that you send in your application.
Below, we’ve provided a detailed breakdown of the UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship. From exactly how it works to what it will need from applicants.
Applications for the UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship will be closing on 15 April 2022.
Please make sure that your application is submitted by then along with all requested support documents.
Failure to do so will result in your application not being accepted by the university.
What is The UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship?
This scholarship is open to postgraduate students at UKZN specifically Master’s and Doctoral students. It caters to those studying Spatial Humanities within a specific African context.
This course of study explores and discovers new questions about human behavior, relationships, and identity.
Successful candidates will be assigned to one of the following Broad Research Areas with consulting supervisors:
- African Spatial Humanities
- Architectural Vernaculars and Space/Place Making
- Language, Beliefs, and Place-Making: Indigenous Understandings of Space/ Place
- Community-Integrated GIS and Spatial Humanities
- GIS, Memory and Cultural Mapping
- Cultural and Digital Mapping: Chatsworth/ uMlazi/ Durban Central
Who Can Apply
To be considered for the UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship, you will need to meet the following requirements:
- Applicants must be new or first-year Ph.D. or Master’s degree students.
- Applicants must be registered full-time at the University of KwaZulu-Natal.
- Applicants must be prepared to conduct fieldwork in one of three sites: Chatsworth, uMlazi, and Durban central.
- Applicants must not be full-time employed.
- Applicants must be willing to relocate to the Howard College Campus.
What Does This Scholarship Cover?
The scholarship will provide a successful candidate the amount of R100 00 per year for their Master’s and R130 000 per year for their Ph.D.
The scholarship will be paid in increments and only after the necessary tasks and progress have been completed and reported by supervisors.
Successful candidates who will be awarded this scholarship will need to maintain their academic performance throughout the scholarship and are required to submit a portfolio with motivation supporting why they are ideal candidates.
How To Apply
There is no application form for this scholarship. All you need to do is gather the following support documents:
- A certified copy of your ID
- A certified copy of all your qualifications and certificates
- A full academic record
- A motivational letter of 2 pages that supports why you would be the best choice for this scholarship.
- A Concept Note with Bibliography on one of the Research Areas above (2 pages)
- Portfolio: Publications/ Opinion Pieces/ Painting or Ceramic Work/ Photographic/ Film/ Theatre (Optional)
Please note that all of these documents need to be combined into a single PDF. Once you have this complete, you can submit your application to the following email: Udofedilisj@gmail.com
Make sure to include, “UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship application” as the subject.
If you have any questions or concerns relating to the UKZN Mellon Spatial Humanities Scholarship, then you can contact the University of KwaZulu Natal through the following means:
Good luck with your application!