The Masakh’iSizwe Bursary Programme was established in 2006 by the Department of Transport and Public Works and is committed to offer bursaries to students in the engineering and the built environment fields in South Africa.
Along with the Department of Transport and Public Works, the Masakh’iSizwe Bursary Programme is backed by the Higher Education Institutions (HEI), Non-Governmental Organisations (NGOs) and the relevant professional bodies specific to these fields.
The main aim is to assist underprivileged and financially disadvantaged students. They are particularly focused on awarding the Masakh’iSizwe Bursary to learners from rural areas, women, and students with disabilities. The bursary can be for a degree or diploma.
Closing date of the bursary
The application closing date is the 31st of August each year (31st of August 2021 for this year).
Please note that if you have not been contacted by February 2022, your application has been unsuccessful.
About This Bursary
The Masakh’ iSizwe Bursary has been developed to address and develop socio-economic conditions in South Africa through education and applying this learning in the relevant settings. They have brought in professional bodies to give practical and factual learning experiences.
There is a commitment to not just give financial support, they are committed to assisting and developing the students to complete their qualification.
The bursary focuses on three areas for the individual’s development:
- Learning: formal degree or diploma and the student’s commitment to life-long learning in the field
- Citizenship: developing a culture of environmental awareness, non-racial, and social justice
- Service: working to assist in the development of poor rural communities
The Masakh’ iSizwe Bursary requires the successful student to work back their financial support for each year that the student was covered by the Masakh’ iSizwe Bursary.
Please note that upon graduation, bursars employed by the Department of Transport and Public Works will be required to undergo a Professional Development Training Programme to acquire professional registration.
Who Can Apply?
Any students – whether they are still at school, completed school, or looking at changing their specialization can apply. They will have to meet the specific requirements that the universities/colleges stipulate.
The Masakh’Sizwe Bursary is only relevant for Higher Education Institutions in the Western Cape.
The students can apply for the bursaries at the following institutions:
- University of Cape Town
- Cape Peninsula University of Technology
- Stellenbosch University
To be a successful applicant, you need to want to study full-time in the following areas: Transport, engineering, and built environment disciplines, these include the following –
- Property Studies
- Quantity Surveying
- Transport Economists
- Civil Engineering
- Electrical Engineering
- Mechanical Engineering
- Town and Regional Planning
- Construction Management
The following people can apply for the bursary:
- A South African citizen
- Students who are accepted to the relevant educational institution
- Preference, however, not limited to, will be given to the following students:
- Persons with disabilities
- The financially disadvantaged
- Female learners
- Applicants from rural areas of South Africa
What does this bursary cover?
The Masakh’ iSizwe Bursary covers the following:
- Tuition fees
- Accommodation and meals (or transport costs)
- Support programmes
- All prescribed books and materials
While the students are studying, they must do the following:
- Take part in out-reach programmes
- Agree to academic experiential training
- Attend workshops, events, and meetings
How to Apply?
To apply for the Masakh’iSizwe Bursary requires a lot of information and documents that you need to provide so please ensure that you have all of these with you.
To apply you need to print the application form (Select Here ) and attach the following documents:
(Please mark the boxes with an “X”)
- Certified copy of matric certificate and/or latest results
- Proof of application/registration at the relevant Higher Education Institution (HEI)
- Relevant full course outline for 2022
- Estimation of study costs as supplied by the HEI
- Full academic records at HEI (qualification and/or latest results)
- Proof of financial aid (if applicable)
- Proof of existing debt (if applicable)
- Certified copies of ID (applicant / parent (s) / guardian)
- For deceased parents please provide a copy of the death certificate
- Salary slips or affidavit to support financial status of parents/ guardian/ spouse.
- Proof of Address (an account or bill not older than 3 months)
- Medical proof (if disabled)
- Letter of motivation
Important: all applicants must apply for on-campus accommodation for 2022.
Masakh’iSizwe Bursary Application Forms
It is important to note that only new bursars can apply, it cannot be used by bursars who are currently sponsored.
Application form (as above): Select Here
Lazola Mtongana and Natasha Lood
Tel: 021 483 9545 / 0964 / 6553
Email Addresses: Lazola.Mtongana@westerncape.gov.za
Hand delivery address: 23RD floor, 9 Riebeeck Street, Atterbury House, Cape Town, 8001
Postal address: Private Bag X9 185, Cape Town, 8000