There are a number of teaching bursaries on offer each year to talented students who would love to teach the youth in South Africa. These bursaries for teaching and education are offered to students needing financial aid to gain great qualifications and become a teacher in specialized subjects.
How do I get a bursary in South Africa?
You want to study and you probably have some questions about how you can get a bursary.
The Application Process
- Are you approved by your school or University? Is your certificate and or diploma good enough to join that University?
- Did you check the requirements of the Bursary? Every bursary has different requirements so make sure you are eligible to apply
- Do you have all the information needed to apply? Think about copies of birth certificates, national diplomas. Make sure everything is complete
- Did you write an approval letter and have it checked by friends or family?
- Send all the information to the Bursary provider. Make sure if this can be done online or if you have to send it by mail or bring it to them
How Much is a Teaching Bursary?
The big question is how much money will you get from a teaching Bursary? Don’t expect too much out of it. You can’t live from this bursary if you have to support a small family.
The stipend is enough for a student to cover their small student needs while being part of the program. The stipend can be different depending on the company but they don’t differ much.
Teaching & Education Bursaries 2020 -2021
Are there any Bursaries for Teaching?
There are a couple of institutes offering bursaries for teaching and education so if you are interested, have a look at the following companies found here.
- Funza Lushaka
- Department of Education
- Department of Higher Education
- Epilepsy Educational Trust (only if you have Epilepsia)
- Globeleq Scholarship
- IDB Education Trust
- Jakes Gerwel Fellowship
- MANCOSA ( If you are a student at MANCOSA
- Mpumalanga Province SA
- North West Province SA
- SIFTE ( Sugar Industry Trust Fund)
Bursaries for Teachers (To Further Studies after you are a Teacher)
Here are listed the most popular Study fields for teaching bursaries
- Foundation Phase for Grade R to Grade 3
- One of the Native African Languages
Intermediate Phase for Grade 4 to Grade 6
- Natural Science
Senior Phase for Grade 7 to Grade 9
- Natural Science
FET Phase for Grade 10 to 12
- Computer Appliance Technology
- Civil Technology
- Life Science
- Agricultural Science
- Agricultural Technology
- Civil Technology
- Electrical Technology
- Information Technology
- Mechanical Technology
- Physical Science
- Engineering Graphics & Design
How Do You Qualify for a Teaching Bursary?
Students who would like to pursue teaching as a career will require the following basic requirements before applying.
- Candidates have to be a South African citizen with a valid ID Book / ID Card.
- Candidates have to be able to prove their need for financial aid.
- Candidates must show their commitment to teaching and a love for working with children.
- Candidates must have outstanding academic records with proof of acceptance at a higher learning institute.
- Candidates from a previously disadvantaged background will be given preference.
Most of these companies also offer students a career upon successful completion of their studies and all information is included within the bursary.
Teaching is a lifetime commitment, thus, you should only apply if you are really interested in working with the youth. You will also be faced with plenty of challenges, difficult situations, and even times that your integrity will be tested. Are you ready?
Then take that step forward and make a change! Provide South Africa’s youth with quality education and a great future. Do you have a deep burning passion for learning and would love to pass that on to the youth? You could be changing the lives of many spectacular people and help them to reach their goals. Giving South African citizens that are proud of an opportunity at a better life.
Were you looking for something else? We have bursaries listed for every Bachelor, don’t forget to take a look.